DOC and conservation projects have been a significant part of our community projects and have been both challenging and rewarding.
These boxes have become a a regular feature on walking tracks where the wetas are observed using them as nests and is part of a reasonably regular construction programme as demand for them continues. Modifications of their construction has changed and a more efficient process evolved which has improved productivity and made life a lot easier for us.
Penguin nesting boxes
Another production line was set up for these penguin boxes which were made using specifically donated materials. Those who were involved in positioning them in the sand dunes along the Kapiti coast were allowed to write them names on the boxes.
Kaka nesting boxes
Simulating hollow tree trunks was the project to encourage Kaka nesting and a prototype that had worked was our guide. This was a another learning curve with our own modifications including one members ability to paint the camouflage. We have made an extra one that is to be mounted in one of the trees in the Reserve adjacent our shed.
Kaka Nesting boxes – 2016 version
The success of our 2015 venture into producing Kaka nesting boxes and the achievements in the breading program resulted in a another flurry of activity at the shed in the preparation of boxes for the start of the 2016 September Kaka breeding season.
The destructive pecking of the inside liner of their nests results in an annual removal and replacement of this lining, which we had promised to carryout. Some lateral thinking and the resultant design of a removable inner sleeve will now mean the main trunk can now remain fixed in position on the tree with the liner only removed annually for maintenance. The liner unit is held in place and removed with a twist removal action like a light bulb. This liner can also be part lowered to allow inspection and tagging of any chicks during breeding. The photos capture some of the activities during this time when we stripped the linings from the 6 nest made last year, and built and fitted our newly designed sleeve liners. At the same time 6 new trunks and liners were built and painted and all have been delivered and are now being installed in time for the breeding season.
The 2016 version with major changes
An important project for conservation has been the construction of stoat traps and we have set up production lines at various times to meet requirements.